Friday, July 12, 2013

Low Country Boil




A few days ago I was watching Trisha Yearwood on Food Network. It was her Southern Movie Night episode. She was making a Low Country Boil so I decided to try her recipe:

Ingredients
1/2 cup concentrated Louisiana-style shrimp and crab boil seasoning (such as Zatarain's)
4 pounds medium red potatoes
2 to 3 medium sweet onions, such as Vidalia, peeled and quartered if large
2 1/2 pounds cured, smoked pork sausage links, cut into 3-inch pieces
8 ears of corn, cut in half
4 pounds medium shrimp
Directions
Fill a 7-gallon stockpot halfway with water (or use 2 large pots and divide the ingredients between them). Add the seasoning and bring to a rolling boil. Add the whole potatoes to the pot. Allow the water to return to a boil and cook 5 minutes. Add the onions and sausage. Bring the water back to a boil and cook 15 minutes. Add the corn, bring the water back to a boil and cook 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are done.

Add the shrimp, bring the water back to a boil and cook until the shrimp turn pink, about 3 minutes. Drain through a colander; discard the liquid. Serve on newspaper or a platter.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/trisha-yearwood/low-country-boil-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback

In my picture you can only see the shrimp and the corn. That is because I had to take the potatoes and sausage out early rather than taking it all out and once. The potatoes' skin fell off and they were mashing in the bottom of the pot. Also, the sausage was about to burst. It all tasted very good but next time I would not time it the way the recipe calls for. I think I would just keep an eye on it until it looks done instead. :D

I recently made a boil for my Beau from the Bayou so naturally I added crawfish and it was amazing!

When I make this I don't follow those measurements. I make a ton. That's the point of a boil you can feed an army with one pot. 

WARNING: do not take the lid off the pot and smell it. That zatarians seasoning is potent and will burn your nose. I've done it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment