Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Perfectly Hearty Fall Soup

              

Okay y'all, I am trying to get better with my recipe posts. So far they have been a little hard to follow, I think. 
Last night I made my first soup of the season. I made chicken tortellini soup. I don't know about y'all but I love tortellini. You can add it to pretty much anything to create a fun twist on a classic like chicken noodle soup. 
I added a TON of chicken to this soup and it came out very hearty like a stew. It is perfect for a fall night. But what made this dish even better is what I served with it. On my grocery list I wrote down to get some French bread to serve along side of this soup but I made a last minute change and decided to make soft pretzels. 
It was my first time making soft pretzels and I think the fear and time crunch caused me to run to the spices and look for something to save my pitiful little pretzels. I ended up grabbing my new secret ingredient. The pretzels were a huge hit! Stay tuned I will post my pretzel recipe tomorrow and reveal what sets my pretzels apart from the rest.

Okay there's the soup!
3T olive oil 
1lb carrots chopped
1c celery chopped 
1T minced garlic 
1 sweet onion chopped
3 quarts chicken stock
1 shake of garlic powder
2 shakes of oregano 
1 bag frozen peas
1 package of tortellini.... Or two! 
Okay y'all here it comes! The meat of TWO rotisserie chickens chopped. 

First add the olive oil, carrots, celery, garlic and onion to the pot. Cook for 10 mins stirring occasionally.(medium heat)

Then add the chicken stock, garlic powder and oregano. Bring to a boil. 

Next add the tortellini, turn heat down low and cover the pot for 10 mins. 

Finally add the peas and chicken. Cook until chicken and peas are heated through. 

YUM. This is the perfect fall soup! 



No comments:

Post a Comment